To find a killer, she must unlock a child’s terror…
The first in an exciting new crime series featuring psychologist Dr Jessie Flynn – a brilliantly complex character who struggles with a dark past of her
‘The girl knows,’ he whispered…
Four-year-old Sami is deeply traumatized, and it’s up to psychologist Dr Jessie Flynn to unlock his terrifying memories. She needs to find out who ‘the girl’ is – but nothing can prepare her for the truth about what haunts him.
Meanwhile, Jessie’s former patient, Captain Ben Callan, is investigating the suspicious death of an officer in Afghanistan – the problem is the only suspect refuses to talk.
When a dead body washes up on a Sussex beach, Jessie and Ben’s cases converge. Soon it’s clear that the mystery in Afghanistan began with a secret much closer to home. And a desperate killer will do anything to keep it buried…
Angela: Summariser
Caroline: Leader
Pat: Connector
Tracey: Wordmaster - Psychology
Wendy: Passage

Started quite slowly as each part of the story was revealed. About half way through there are three distinct storylines which are supposed to be linked, though not sure how. It is all brought together close to the end of the book when more is revealed from Nooria with quite a dramatic ending. Not much revealed about life for soldiers in Afghanistan apart from a glimpse into the physiological side. 7/10
ReplyDeleteA good thriller with intrigue, twists in the plot and a hint toward romance - all with a little far-fetched-ness thrown in! Set of strong central characters with interesting 'broken' personalities stemming from various historical traumas: the investigating soldier, the army psychiatrist, the discharged maimed major and his wife and son, all linked by the war and troubles in Afghanistan. A page-turner and good holiday read. 8/10
ReplyDeleteI thought this was a great read and second debut novel. I couldn’t put the book down as each chapter drew me further in. I really liked the way the plot was carved up into short, sharp chapters that gave it an almost disjointed feel, until all the pieces of the puzzle started to slot together – a nice writing technique.
ReplyDeleteI liked the army setting, the dealing of PTSD and all the characters were well written and believable, even Sami. I especially liked Jessie Flynn with her own demons, trying to cope with her brother’s suicide and her resulting OCD. All the characters were damaged in some way and held dark secrets. The cryptic lies that Nooria, Nicolas Scott and Colin Starkey tell muddy the waters beautifully, taking the plot in many different directions. The description of the cold, dark weather throughout, adding to the general sense of doom and foreboding. Although towards the end I guessed Noria had burnt Kheial, there were still lots of twists and turns to shock you, such as Colin Starkey taking care of Soraya, the cultural aspects of Nooria’s family background and the final shocking admission that Sami wasn’t Major Scott’s child. Although a thriller, you felt empathy for Nooria and Nicolas Scott at the end. Was going to score it higher, until I read Sometimes I Lie too! Angela 8/10
I thought the book a bit slow at the start culminating in a slightly confusing rushed ending. I skim read a few pages then put it down for days at a time! Anyway, I enjoyed the main character Jessie, where her OCD came from and her determination to solve Sami's trauma within the 48 hours timeframe and discovering who exactly the "shadowman" was. A holiday read as I have now forgotten it. 6.5/10
ReplyDeleteI liked the pyscological aspect and the characters that all seemed to have one or more issues! You can empathize with Jessie Flynn as she has to overcome her own demons to help a young traumatized boy.
ReplyDeleteWell written, touched on maybe a darker side of Army life.
7/10