Thursday, 19 October 2017

Nomad by James Swallow

Chosen by Caroline





A pulse-racing terrorist thriller - perfect for fans of I Am Pilgrim, Bourne, 24 and Homeland

Marc Dane is a MI6 field agent at home behind a computer screen, one step away from the action. But when a brutal attack on his team leaves Marc as the only survivor - and with the shocking knowledge that there are traitors inside MI6 - he's forced into the front line.

However the evidence seems to point towards Marc as the perpetrator of the attack. Accused of betraying his country, he must race against time to clear his name. 

With nowhere to turn to for help and no one left to trust, Marc is forced to rely on the elusive Rubicon group and their operative Lucy Keyes. Ex US Army, Lucy also knows what it's like to be an outsider, and she's got the skills that Marc is sorely lacking. 

Angela: Connector
Pat: Summariser
Wendy: Leader
Caroline: Wordmaster
Tracey: Passage

4 comments:

  1. I wasn’t sure if the content of this story was going to be my thing, plus it started off a bit descriptively heavy. However, having picked it back up after Christmas, I’m really glad I did! I thought this was an action-packed, modern and totally relatable thriller about the frightening shadow that is both terrorism and corruption. The pace was fast and Marc Dane was our superhero in the war against terrorism and dodgy dealings within the intelligence and military sector. I thought all the characters were well formed and believable and each chapter was a page turner. The factual detail research also made it believable and the title Nomad could apply to most of the characters caught up in the plot. It had a Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy feel to it too. Would make a good film! The only thing I would say is that Marc Dane is the cat with 100 lives, but as our superhero, I guess I can forgive him! Angela 8.5/10

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of those fast-paced, adventure-packed, thriller reads that you can't put down, with an albeit 'bumbling' version of a James Bond type hero and the accompanying love interest at its core. Over-plotted of course as such thrillers often are but not too incredible - indeed, some of it frighteningly believable in these times, for example, brainwashing young Middle Eastern orphaned boys to carry out deadly acts of violence in the West. Great read. 9/10 Caroline :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed it. Fairly predictable story line, the indestructible Marc, very James Bond, corrupt intelligence etc all coming good in the end. Very descriptive, made me cringe at places! Enjoyed the terrorism being so relevant in our lives today. 8/10

    ReplyDelete
  4. Started slow but, once group blown up & hero has to find out why & who, it got more interesting. Amazed he stayed alive after all the attempts on his life. Great he was rescued by Lucy & Team. Got an insight into back story of exploitation & how innocent the boy bombs were in the end. Liked intrigue in who was the mole in the security forces. 7/10

    ReplyDelete